RSS

History of Edinburgh Castle

27 Nov

At Edinburgh Castle – the most famous of Scottish castles has a long and varied history of erection. Extremely old part of the Chapel St Margaret, refers to the XI century. The Great Hall was built by James IV in about 1510, battery Crescent Regent Morton in the late 16 th century, and the Scottish National War Memorial after the First World War.
Collection sites of the castle is very large and interesting. Edinburgh Castle is not just an attractive tourist destination. This storage place of national historical relics of the Scots, namely the crown jewels of Scotland.


In addition to regalia heightened interest are other attractions of national importance: Stone of Destiny Stone, which took place the coronation of rulers of Scotland and England), a giant medieval Artillery – gun Mons Meg (Mons Meg) and hour gun. Most of the buildings inside the castle are independent museums of tourist remarkable historical exposition.

The history of the place where the present castle and the city of Edinburgh, goes into far antiquity. Archaeological artifacts discovered during excavations related to the Bronze Age (ie, approximately to 900 BC). Archaeologists also found a set of samples belonging to the period of the Roman presence in Britain.
Later, in the V-VII centuries BC in the lands of Celtic tribe Votadinov arises Brythonic kingdom Gododin, the capital of which is fortified settlement Dean Aydin (Din Eidyn). Once in 638, the Anglo-Saxons took over Dean Aydin, the fortress was named in a new way Aydin-burg (Edin-burh).
In 1018, King Malcolm II, England’s victory in the battle of Karem, permanently attached to Scotland’s land between the Firth of Forth and the River Tweed. By the end of the century in Edinburgh was built by the royal castle.
At the beginning of XII century the castle served as both a royal residence, the rate of the sheriff, as well as store and a prison. The oldest surviving buildings of the castle is a small chapel, probably built during the reign of David I (1124-53 years). It is dedicated to his mother, who in 1250 was canonized as St Margaret.
During the reign of King James III (1460-88) declared Edinburgh the capital of the kingdom.
In 1818, a famous Scottish novelist Walter Scott, along with the governor of the castle opened Room of the Crown to re-open world “crown jewels” of Scotland (the Honours of Scotland).
In 1996, the day of St. Andrew’s in Scotland has been returned to the famous Skounsky stone, which is now stored in the Crown Room next to the Honours of Scotland. Along with the royal regalia, he is one of the most famous and interesting exhibits of the castle of Edinburgh.

 
Leave a comment

Posted by on November 27, 2010 in Mysterious

 

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *